Tuesday, March 3

CR-Ex:1.8 (reading for research)

"Ways of Reading to Write"
1.) The most important thing about reading for a research paper is accuracy and understanding.
2.) The Trapper's Last Shot:
This assignment was I little confusing at first and I'm not really that great at interpreting stories because I always think I sound stupid or righteous or something annoying, but I went for it and here it is...
I figure that this excerpt is meant to tell us that even the older and wiser of us can make foolish and potentially awful mistakes when they may even know better. I would like to think that a 14 year old boy would know not to jump in a lake during a drought--who knows what might be growing in there?? Anyway, I think temptation lead the oldest boy to jump in the lake for a few brief seconds of relief, and for that his life was taken. (Don't laugh at the next part!! lol) When the boy cried out "God, don't come in!" it was as though either he or God himself decided God wasn't going to intervene with the sinner's stupidity. I guess evil had a hold of him in a way and wasn't letting go. Even as the boy struggled from the lake the snakes where still attached and as he landed in the sand and died he still had a Moccasin pinned under him, biting away. which meant that when the snake kept biting, although he was dead, he was still feeling the repercussions of his actions (i.e. hell).
See, that was a little far fetched..oh well.
3.) This excerpt is focused on Erikson's developmental theory--that as we go through our life, challenges we have with crisis are how we gain a sense of who we are. It talked of how from childhood we are constantly being faced with new crises and this is how our identity is developed and is the most important goal of adolescences. It said that the commitments we make early in life are at the core of who we are and that those who do not make commitments early on are not likely to have a sense of self. Also, people may be somewhere between the two scenarios, that is, they will either follow there parents ideology or experiment with identity-related issues and resolve them.
4.) My approach did differ between the two exercises.. The first one I read then thought about for a minute, read again and then started writing whatever I felt was the "gist" of the story. I was questioning myself at first, but decided it was best just to write whatever came to me.
The second excerpt was more of a formal thing that needed me to accurately get info across to someone that hadn't read it. So for this one I found myself constantly going back to see if I chose the right word or had the right idea. This one wasn't as confusing, but it was much more strict.
Unfortunately, my reading strategies never really developed that well--I'm not the best reader. What I usually do is what I did with "Trapper's". I read something, then read it again to better understand. I'm semi-dyslexic so that doesn't help my understanding. It's not that I'm stupid, it's just not my strong suit.
My behaviors are nothing like "highlighting, underlining, marginal note taking" or anything like that. The only one I do is rereading. Like I said, my reading skills never quite developed; it's something I am always working on. But to be honest, I don't even think to do those things listed above--that's pretty sad I guess.
I think I did pretty well in taking my own advice by accurately reading and understanding the assignment. That's what you have to do when you're not as good a reader as most. I would have to ask someone else if what I wrote was understandable and accurate, but I think it was...

No comments:

Post a Comment